OUT WEST IS BEST
The West Side Of This Country Is My Favorite Place To Be – Here My Top Ten Reasons Why:
- The Sky: whether dark and gloomy, bright and sunny, stormy or cloudy – usually all of the above at once. One thing is sure: it reminds you how small and insignificant one person can be.
- The grasslands: The prairie part of the US might seem boring – mainly because it is so vast. But looking closer, you begin to notice details: Pronghorn antelopes with their offspring. Fields of sunflowers bobbing in the wind. An old homestead up on the hill, surrounded by big, wind-torn trees. Miles and miles of fences. A few random cows sprinkled amongst the wavy grass patches of all shades of green.
If you ever feel claustrophobic – this place is the antidote for you.
- The Water: Life-force of everthing, water plays a center-stage role in everything out west. Reservoirs for keeping huge metropolitan cities green, or puddles for the cows to slurp out of on hot summer days. My favorite feature of any watery spot out west: it reflects the sky (see 1. above)
- The People: nowhere else in the USA will you find this mix of outdoorsy, politically interested, technology oriented, healthy living, open-minded people from all around the world – seemingly all getting along quite well. And, colorful people they are, too…I love just talking with people at the next table – always something to learn or share (yes, people elsewhere are lovely as well – but out West has my heart)…
- The Food: yes, twice. Try Rock Inn in Estes Park, Colorado.Or the Thai Kitchen. Yep, you are welcome again.
- The Mountains: You knew this already. But did you realize THIS is what you have been missing:
- The Wildlife: Encounters of the wild sort seem to be the daily standard:
- The Festivals: the West does it best. People come to support whatever the cultural events can throw at them. Great fun!
- It Is Home: After spending 12 years in the Frontrange of Colorado, and after being gone for just as long, it still feels like home to me.
- Inspiring, uplifting, and sunny skies – it makes a pretty good case for being out West at least once a year with my Sheep Incognito flock….